httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Adding the OS type
Date Tue, 05 May 1998 05:29:01 GMT
On Mon, 4 May 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Teaching webmasters that they *can* edit source code, particularly a
> harmless #define somewhere, is probably not a bad thing.  Recommending they
> modify that string by using a "AddToVersionString my_pet_hamster/1.2" is
> fine by me too.

I'm really not happy with the idea of encouraging or making it easy for
every joe yahoo to make up dumb server strings so they can feel cool.

Aside from being part of my dog-given right to enforce true righteousness
on the entire world, it causes annoyances when trying to help smart-assed
people with "bugs" they report.

Letting modules change it, sure although that can lead to the "every
module in the server name" situation.

Letting someone change a define, fine.

Going beyond that, it gets trickier.