httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: immortal httpd processes.
Date Sat, 02 May 1998 03:34:57 GMT
Could the connectivity between your NFS client and server be dying?

Are your NFS mounts interruptable and/or soft?  (note that using either
makes NFS unreliable but it is already unreliable)

Are you reading content or anything else from NFS disks?

What sort of box is serving the NFS?

What does ps -elf show the pcoess to be at when it can't be killed?  I
wish Solaris had nice state info to indicate what things are blocked on
like FreeBSD does.

Does lsof show anything of interest with the process?

If it can't be killed, it must be a kernel issue.  Apache could trigger
it, but no user process should ever be able to do anything to make it
unkillable.