httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: [apache-ssl] Using Verisign certificates (fwd)
Date Fri, 15 May 1998 18:17:43 GMT

Interesting.  Very interesting.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:51:20 -0500 (CDT)
From: Chris Owen <owenc@gcnet.com>
To: apache-ssl@lists.aldigital.co.uk
Subject: Re: [apache-ssl] Using Verisign certificates

When I went to renew my certificate today I saw the following on the
verisign site at http://digitalid.verisign.com/server/apacheNotice.htm

Chris

FREEWARE APACHE NOTICE YOU MUST READ THIS FREEWARE APACHE NOTICE BEFORE
APPLYING FOR, ACCEPTING, OR USING A SECURE SERVER ID/CERTIFICATE. IF YOU
DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS FREEWARE APACHE NOTICE, DO NOT APPLY
FOR, ACCEPT, OR USE THE SECURE SERVER ID (CERTIFICATE).

VeriSign is pleased to offer Secure Server IDs for use with freeware
Apache servers with SSL functionality derived from the SSL-EAY toolkit.

Normally, VeriSign provides full customer support for the generation and
use of Secure Server IDs, including support in the generation of
Certificate Signing Requests, the installation of Secure Server IDs, and
the configuration of SSL.

VeriSign has tested our Secure Server ID services using SSLEAY-based
Apache products. We have also produced full sets of customer support
documentation for the standard implementations of SSL using SSLEAY.
However, because both Apache and the SSLEAY toolkits are distributed as
source code, there are potentially many different variations of product
and many different implementations for dealing with Certificate Signing
Requests, Certificates, and SSL. While we anticipate no difficulties, we
can not guarantee that the Secure Server Digital IDs we issue will
necessarily function properly if you have extensively modified either the
Apache or the SSLEAY toolkit. If you have modified either Apache or
SSL-EAY, we also can not offer product usage support beyond providing
standard written guides. Naturally, we will provide full support in
enrolling for and obtaining your Digital ID.

Chris Owen             ~  Lottery: A stupidity tax
PO Box 1985            ~  owenc@gcnet.com
Garden City, KS 67846  ~  http://www.gardencity.net/~owenc/
Voice: (316) 275-1900  ~  ftp://ftp.gardencity.net/pub/owenc/
Fax:   (316) 275-0313  ~  88 FA CF C6 65 23 63 C1  6E 80 AE 0B 51 C0 22 36