httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject config/2175: default path in httpd.conf incorrect (fwd)
Date Sun, 03 May 1998 05:45:26 GMT
Another apaci confusion caused by having multiple "default" paths.

The fix for this is to have apaci replace the path in the default config
file.

I don't think his complaint about no error message being generated is
valid, since it should be in the error log.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 3 May 1998 00:12:35 -0000
From: Kris Kahn <zaphod@cybernetix.com>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: config/2175: default path in httpd.conf incorrect

>Number:         2175
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       default path in httpd.conf incorrect
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
After the make install, and editing the conf files for the first time,
I uncommented the following lines in the httpd.conf:

CustomLog logs/referer_log referer
CustomLog logs/agent_log agent

When attempting to start up apache, it just exited:

/usr/local/apache/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

After a bit of searching using "truss /usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd", I found
that it was not finding the SERVER_ROOT/logs directory.  So, just changing the
entry in httpd.conf to:

CustomLog var/logs/referer_log referer
CustomLog var/logs/agent_log agent

...resolves the problem.
>How-To-Repeat:

See above, just uncomment those lines in the httpd.conf
>Fix:
The error message generated by httpd (or the exit code passed to apachectl) should
indicate exactly what the problem is, i.e. "Non-existant: logs/referrer_log" or
"Directory: logs (defined in httpd.conf), does not exist"

And, you should probably make that small change to the existing default entries
in the generic httpd.conf.