httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Perl GET & HEAD app performance?
Date Sat, 30 May 1998 01:15:23 GMT
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> The LWP::Debug might reveal some clues, run like so:
>
>  perl -MLWP::Debug=+ `which HEAD` http://127.0.0.1/
>
> You'll see all sort of trace messages, where is it before the hang?
> Do you have the HTTP_PROXY enviroment variable set?  It might be
> trying to proxy to a server which is dead or just dead slow.  GET and
> HEAD work just fine for me with libwww-perl-5.33

What I'm seeing is:
 1. a massive delay before *any* output (many seconds' worth)
 2. a short delay after "LWP::UserAgent::new: ()"
 3. a longer delay after"LWP::UserAgent::_need_proxy: Not proxied"

So the culprit may have been my upgrade to Perl 5.004_04, made
a couple of months ago.  {Sigh}  Now what could have caused
*that*?  It's a slow 486 33MHz box running Linux, but not *that*
slow.  Sounds like something (don't know what) isn't preloaded
or precompiled or something.  I took all the defaults, which is
what I did the time before (when I didn't have this delay).

On the other hand, Perl apps that don't use these modules
seem to run at normal speed.

#ken	P-)}