httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache++
Date Mon, 25 May 1998 13:35:18 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> To be honest, I would rather see this, and some of the other discussion
> and coding we're having (and will have) on an "apache-ng" mailing list
> hosted @apache.org...

I don't have any particular objection to this - I only put it where it
is coz I had a mailing list server built for another purpose.

> well actually I wouldn't mind seeing it on
> new-httpd, but I figure that it's easier to get folks to join into
> something that doesn't start off with a high volume of unrelated mail :)

Err, yeah. Also, if you want to discuss something like C++ it helps to
do it where you don't get flamed every time you open your mouth :-)

> >From my point of view, the main thing C++ has to offer is an alternative
> API.  The rest (high performance, reliable, correct) is just a small
> matter of coding, and can be done just as easily in C++ as in C (although
> I reserve the right to bitch about lameness caused by C++ compilers
> inserting extra code to do indirect function calls,

Perhaps if we bitch enough someone will fix them...

> and if anyone so much
> as blinks at multiple inheritance, I'll strangle you ;)

Absolutely. I'll help.

> As far as portability goes, the platforms I'm interested in is essentially
> limited to the most recent stable versions of Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris,
> HPUX, and OSF/1.  For all of those we know we have g++.  There's WIN32
> where we know we have MSVC.  I don't really care about anything else,
> because folks shouldn't be running high-end webservers on them... we could
> always spin off apache 1.x to a group of folks that need to maintain it
> for "legacy" systems.  Kind of a radical opinion I suppose, and I wouldn't
> mind hearing from our "obscure" system folks (i.e. Martin, Mark Bixby, the
> IBM folks that popped up several months ago regarding some switching
> system they're using apache with...) ... the main thing that needs to be
> decided on is which subset of C++ we could use and still get working
> compilers on those systems.
>
> That said, I'll go join your mailing list so I can bitch and moan and
> figure out how to integrate my NSPR work with your C++ work.

Cool - we seem to be converging - current theory seems to be that NSPR
is the correct starting point.

> i.e. I'm "in" on the C++ bandwagon... if only because I don't feel like
> arguing every time a "C++ can do it better than C!" post is made :)

Gosh!

Cheers,

Ben.