httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Compile failure
Date Sun, 17 May 1998 15:51:48 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > So fix it. I get to fix it every time someone breaks it on Win32 (well,
> > me or one of the other Win32 developers), what makes you think it should
> > be different when it is the other way around?
>
> Because you have access to a Unix platform to test it.

Hmmm ... and who doesn't have access to a Win32 platform?

> It is just rude to break the tree on most platforms and not care when you
> have access to be sure it works.

It isn't a matter of not caring, it is a matter of division of labour. I
don't complain that people break Win32, I just fix it, because I
understand that they prefer to focus on their area of
interest/competence. Insisting that I should make it work on platforms
X, Y and Z "because I can" is an unreasonable requirement on me. OK, if
I was making some stylistic change, then maybe you could reasonably
insist that I make it as cross-plaform as is possible, but in this case
I was fixing a bug. It would've been nice if I'd had the time to make it
work on all platforms, but I didn't, so there it is.

Cheers,

Ben.