httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: Apache++
Date Sat, 16 May 1998 21:49:56 GMT
Ron O'Hara wrote:
> Ben,
> My uncolicited comment on the C++ v/s C question is this.
> Try to get a head count (rough estimate) of the people who can
> read/inspect/debug code written in C++ and in C.
> I dont have any numbers but it's a safe bet that 'C' programmers are more
> plentiful - after all, all C++ programmers can write C, but the reverse is
> not true.
> The size of the developer/review population is an important element in any
> Open Source project.
> Proposing the use of C++ is proposing a reduction in the manpower
> available to support Apache.. This directly undermines one of the main
> strengths behind the development method of the Apache group.
> For my $0.02, thats a bad idea. It outweighs any technical advantage of
> one language over another.

If I were to buy that argument I'd be forced to suggest we write Apache
in Visual Basic or Perl.

I certainly agree that the number of people who can read and write the
code is important, but it isn't the only factor.

I would also argue that only the core C++ needs truly competent C++
programmers. Stuff around the edges can be done by those who are not
completely au fait with C++, just as already happens with C.

Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|
and Technical Director|Email: |
A.L. Digital Ltd,     |Apache-SSL author
London, England.      |"Apache: TDG"

View raw message