httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_main.c
Date Sat, 09 May 1998 14:54:09 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I'm confused... Is ap_set_version() called _first_ or last? I thought that
> when the server first started, it called ap_set_version and then, as the
> modules "inited" themselves, they added their components. Instead
> it sounds like the modules do their stuff first and then finally the
> server calls ap_set_version.

The latter is correct; it's called after all the inits have been called
so it can make final modifications and lock the string.

> Doing it the former maintains that "notice" of "priority" when
> modules add their string, so that the order of the strings in
> server_version in the exact order that they are added.

Yes, but it complicates the implementation quite a bit.  I guess the
question is whether the order is more important than code simplicity
or not.  I think it's about equal.  Whatever.. anyone who wants to
change it can feel free; just be sure to test with a couple of modules
making contributions and SERVER_SUBVERSION set.

#ken	P-)}