httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wan-Teh Chang <...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: chdir isn't thead specific
Date Thu, 07 May 1998 23:59:22 GMT

Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > Fork() is a Unixism.  You can only implement a "create process" function in
> > a portable way, which maps to fork+exec on Unix and CreateProcess
> > on Win32.
>
> Oh I understand why :)

Sorry... Didn't mean to underestimate your understanding :-)

>  I'm just saying that this (give the new process a
> specific current working directory) is something we'll have to do under
> the covers of NSPR.
>
> It could be done as a ProcessAttr -- which would be backwards compatible
> with current NSPR.
>
> From what Sam Robb says this should be easily doable for WIN32 as well.
>
> What do you think?

Yes, Win32's CreateProcess takes 10 arguments, including one "catch-all"
startupinfo structure, so it would be really odd if I could not set the current
directory
of the new process after being tortured with such an impossible to memorize
function prototype.  Maybe that's why they like to use the Hungarian naming
convention
to reduce their memory burden.

We can add a new attribute to PRProcessAttr, which is an opaque structure.
We can add new fields to it without breaking backward compatibility.

Wan-Teh
My opinons are mine, not my employer's.