httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Adding the OS type
Date Mon, 04 May 1998 14:05:44 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Actually, Dean's proposed patch removed the -DSERVER_SUBVERSION
> compile-time option, which I think I agree with, for the same philosophical
> reasons he cited.  If you have two eays of doing the exact same thing, it
> can become a nightmare to support.  Removing redundant functionality is a
> good thing.  Perl is not a counter-example.  :)

The two are not equivalent.  You're making the assumption that the
only thing that should ever contribute to the server version is
something coded into the binary (e.g., a module).  I disagree; I
think the Webmaster is entitled to make the decision that some
external-to-httpd addon or plugin is worthy of mention in the
server version.  What that may be, I don't know - but robbing the
server owner of this flexibility is something with which I don't
agree.  It's *his* server that he's running, after all.

In fact, I'd rather have a directive that allowed such additions to
be made at run-time rather than requiring a complete rebuild, for
exactly this reason.

> Unless Ken wants to rescind his -1 on Dean's patch, I guess we should.

If someone can convince me counter to my remarks in my first
paragraph above, I'll take it back.  As it stands, though, Dean's
patch disenfranchises Webmasters unless they're also developers - which
I don't think is fair at all.

I'll wait until I hear a couple more thoughts on this before I do
anything else; it's very discouraging to keep coming up with ideas
and getting told they're wrong and stupid.  I have thoughts on a
clean way to do this, but I don't care to get shot down again..

#ken	P-)}