httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-devsite/apidoc README dict-ap_cpystrn.html dict-ap_destroy_pool.html dict-ap_make_sub_pool.html
Date Sun, 03 May 1998 15:24:20 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Oh, I see. Why don't the doc files get it done automatically, then?

I didn't do that in the current version for a few reasons:

 . The doc file is included verbatim; someone wrote it to look
   the way it does.
 . Marking up the doc file contents would almost certainly push
   lots of lines past column 80.
 . Some sections would probably end up so liberally sprinkled
   with links as to be annoying.
 . Each link adds 16 bytes to the file.
 . Dealing with word forms gets difficult - should "pool" be a
   link but "pools" not?
 . What if a doc file talks about the server's "pool of children"?
   Or "the module source files"?  Parsing by intent is a little
   problematical..

However, most of these would only apply to common multi-value words
like "pool" or "module" and so it might not be a big deal.  I'm
not opposed to giving it a try.. but I don't think it would be an
improvement.

#ken	P-)}