httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: Apology
Date Mon, 18 May 1998 21:24:41 GMT
At 08:47 PM 5/18/98 +0100, you wrote:
>OK, I screwed up. I hadn't realised what an impact that change made. I
>am now fixing it for Unix, and I agree it isn't obvious what needs doing
>(well, it is to me, but I can see the problem).

Thank you, Ben.  I am willing to tolerate a little breakage from time to
time between platforms (it happens all the time elsewhere), but when it's
so easy to make it at least compile and run on other platforms, it really
is moral to do that.  From your commit message I was not sure exactly how
it should have been fixed either, or even that Unix folks should fix it.  I
think whenever a change is committed that someone thinks might break
something on Win32, at least it's noted.

>It is regrettable that the interface to the child-spawner needs to
>change, but the kludge of adding stuff to the request_rec was just not
>acceptable (to me, at least - I'm willing to be overruled, though - but
>not without some argument!).

How about: by adding things to the request_rec you don't have to change the
API in a way which breaks 3rd-party modules which use ap_call_exec?

Did the MMN get bumped?  Did docs/new_features_1_3.html#api get touched?
Or docs/upgrading_to_1_3.html?

>I can't see any other way around it that
>isn't a kludge. Note that to make this fix truly correct we must
>eliminated the non-BUFF methods of spawning children

Okay, so is anything else broken right now that you can think of?

	Brian

pure chewing satisfaction                                  brian@apache.org
                                                        brian@hyperreal.org