httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject Re: assert evilness
Date Sun, 10 May 1998 02:21:01 GMT
At 07:03 PM 5/9/98 +0000, you wrote:
>If there is a risk of an error occurring, we should trap it, log it, and
>do something logical, like move onto the next request or exit. Taking this
>code as an example, if an assert here gets triggered, we log an almost
>meaningless (to the end user) error ("assertion failed: n") or similar.
>The process then exits, killing all the other threads which may be
>processing requests. Modules don't get to clean themselves up, no cleanups
>are run. This client gets a no-data response. All other clients in
>progress get dropped whereever they are.

What if we made ap_assert a little smarter than?  Can you think of anything
fatal if ap_assert terminated the current request, logged an error, and
killed the child/thread it was in, and let everything else move on?

	Brian

pure chewing satisfaction                                  brian@apache.org
                                                        brian@hyperreal.org