httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: cronolog log rotation program and quick reference card
Date Thu, 28 May 1998 07:30:21 GMT
On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 09:37:58PM +0100, Andrew Ford wrote:
> I have had a message from Martin Kraemer asking whether I would donate
> my cronolog program to the Apache Group.  This program writes to
> files, the names of which are specified by a strftime format string;
> it closes the current file and opens a new file at the appropriate
> times.

It sure beats the included rotatelog program, because the generated names
are predictable. The rotatelog simply uses %ld for what time(NULL)
returns, while Andrew's program can automatically create subdirectories as
needed, like in
  TransferLog "|/usr/.../bin/cronolog /usr/.../logs/%Y/%m/%d/access_log"

I tried it, it's definitely useful. I asked Andrew to change the license
from GPL to something we could integrate.

> Also I have an Apache quick reference card that I wrote in September
> 1996 for 1.2beta!  It is written in LaTeX for for European A4 and US
> letter paper in two-sided, triplefold format (the individual pages are
> manipulated with pstops).  I need to update it for 1.3 but the group
> is welcome to that too as a contribution to the documentation effort

Ah - I wondered how you'd created that. It looks very nice (but I
wonder if one page is enough for what 1.3.x offers ;-)

+1 from me.

   Martin