httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Spelling of "Unix"
Date Thu, 14 May 1998 10:11:09 GMT

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.980513130656.9121A-100000@epic6.Stanford.EDU> you wrote:

> I was glancing at the recent platform-identification code that's been
> added to 1.3-dev, and I'm a tad concerned about the use of the word
> "UNIX".

> I'd much perfer "Unix" over "UNIX". For one thing, it looks nicer IMHO.
> And another thing, IIRC, is that "UNIX" is a registered trademark of the
> Open Group, wheras "Unix" is a generic term.

> It's a minor nit, but I think it's worth considering. Technically, Linux
> is not a UNIX operating system, for example. I'd rather call it "Unix".

Yeah, exactly! "Unix" is the right word. It's not even used this way on the
net, it is also documented somewhere this way, I think in the Jargon file
(NHD). And there is an article from a popular Unix hacker (Hmmm... was it
D.Ritchie?) who gave this "Unix" vs. "UNIX" meaning, too. +1 on replacing any
"UNIX" with "Unix" everywhere in the sources and documents.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com