httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: suEXEC+APACI issues
Date Fri, 08 May 1998 16:59:02 GMT
On Fri, May 08, 1998 at 09:16:15AM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> In article <19980507143619.A11104@io.com> you wrote:
> > 1. APACI now will build suexec automatically if you ask it to.
> > manual/suexec.html says that suEXEC is meant to be a manual process.
> > One or the other of these things needs to change for consistency
>
> The document says "... NOT part of the default installation of Apache"
> which is still true.

Right, but it also says:

" To this end, suEXEC configuration is a manual process requiring of
the administrator careful attention to details. It is through this
process that the Apache Group hopes to limit suEXEC installation only
to those who are determined to use it."

On Fri, May 08, 1998 at 09:55:51AM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> I've now done even more: The configure script accepts enabled suEXEC
> (--enable-suexec) only if at least one --suexec-xxxxx configuration option is
> given, too. This way we force the user to at least check the suEXEC stuff
> before enabling it.

This probably satisfies the language in the HTML page close enough,
although I think the language still needs to be tweaked a bit. How
about:

Fourth, and last, it has been the decision of the Apache Group to NOT
make suEXEC part of the default installation of Apache. To this end,
suEXEC configuration requires a conscious decision by the
administrator to set it up. It also requires that the administrator be
aware of specific configuration parameters necessary to set it up. It
is through this process that the Apache Group hopes to limit suEXEC
installation only to those who are determined to use it.

This language isn't the best either. It'll take some work to get it
right for both src/Confgure and APACI.

"Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least these is
symmetry." - Zathras in _Babylon 5_