httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: suEXEC+APACI issues
Date Fri, 08 May 1998 07:55:51 GMT

In article <19980508091615.A6818@engelschall.com> you wrote:

> In article <19980507143619.A11104@io.com> you wrote:

>> A couple of suEXEC issues to deal with before 1.3.0:

>> 1. APACI now will build suexec automatically if you ask it to.
>> manual/suexec.html says that suEXEC is meant to be a manual process.
>> One or the other of these things needs to change for consistency

> The document says "... NOT part of the default installation of Apache"
> which is still true. Because the default build and installation
> is done by

>   $ ./configure [--prefix=/somewhere]

> If you want suEXEC feature you have to do something. Sure, APACI reduces the
> amount of things you have to do, BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING. suEXEC is
> neither build nor installed _PER DEFAULT_. So, I think the documents statement
> is still true. But one addition should be done: A big fat hint in INSTALL
> under the --enable-suexec and --suexec-xxx options to read the
> htdocs/manual/suexec.html document!

I've now done even more: The configure script accepts enabled suEXEC
(--enable-suexec) only if at least one --suexec-xxxxx configuration option is
given, too. This way we force the user to at least check the suEXEC stuff
before enabling it.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com