httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: suEXEC+APACI issues
Date Fri, 08 May 1998 07:16:15 GMT

In article <19980507143619.A11104@io.com> you wrote:

> A couple of suEXEC issues to deal with before 1.3.0:

> 1. APACI now will build suexec automatically if you ask it to.
> manual/suexec.html says that suEXEC is meant to be a manual process.
> One or the other of these things needs to change for consistency

The document says "... NOT part of the default installation of Apache"
which is still true. Because the default build and installation
is done by

  $ ./configure [--prefix=/somewhere]

If you want suEXEC feature you have to do something. Sure, APACI reduces the
amount of things you have to do, BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING. suEXEC is
neither build nor installed _PER DEFAULT_. So, I think the documents statement
is still true. But one addition should be done: A big fat hint in INSTALL
under the --enable-suexec and --suexec-xxx options to read the
htdocs/manual/suexec.html document!

> 2. If APACI continues to build suexec automatically (which I am
>    undecided on)

>    - The log file should point to $(logfiledir)/cgi.log
>    - The document root should point to $(datadir)/htdocs
>    - UID_MIN and GID_MIN should be configurable
>    - SAFE_PATH should probably be configurable

Yes, I've just forgot these things when creating the initial suEXEC support
for APACI. I'll fix this immediately.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com