httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.c
Date Tue, 05 May 1998 14:11:29 GMT

In article <19980505140423.25714.qmail@hyperreal.org> you wrote:

>   Repair mod_rewrite - Lars' patch Brain comitted was totally broken.
>   Thanks to Ben Hyde for immediately discovering this.

Just my $0.02 for the future to avoid such things:

Whenever one commits a source-level patch he really should take care that at
least it passes some lint-like checks before. For example:

  $ CFLAGS="-Wall -Wshadow -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations"
    ./configure ....

can be used as a minimum or a real lint like LCLint. This would have
immediately showed that the patch is broken. Nevertheless a manual review is
always best.

Thanks.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com