httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Mon, 04 May 1998 21:36:19 GMT
On Mon, May 04, 1998 at 08:02:35PM +0400, Dmitry Khrustalev wrote:
> stat is expensive because it has to run namei, fstat is not so expensive.
> opening file in get_path_info, and saving fd in request_rec and using this
> saved fd later saves ~1/6 of system time here.

I just re-checked my old archives and found out that the solution has
been there all the time -- I added it last fall. Look into the source
main/util.c, search for the define unvoted_DISALLOW_DEVICE_ACCESS!
It uses fstat to control device access for configuration files (i.e.,
everything which uses ap_pcfg_openfile()).

If an attempt is made to open a (non-/dev/null) special file, then
an error is logged and the open attempt aborted.

Does that help? Should we vote on it?

    Martin