httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@staff.texas.net>
Subject Re: immortal httpd processes.
Date Sat, 02 May 1998 03:47:50 GMT
On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 09:34:57PM -0600, Marc Slemko said:

> Could the connectivity between your NFS client and server be dying?
>
> Are your NFS mounts interruptable and/or soft?  (note that using either
> makes NFS unreliable but it is already unreliable)

Actually, I just realized that the admins that setup this box didn't
put any explicit options in there for the NFS mounts; so looking at
the defaults in `man mount_nfs` on that box: hard and interruptable.
Also ver3 and tcp are the obvious defaults; we tend to revert most NFS
mounts back to UDP since we've had a fair number of issues with some
TCP mounts that go away once moved to UDP.

> Are you reading content or anything else from NFS disks?

Yes, the same box is where the content is stored.

> What sort of box is serving the NFS?

Netapp

> What does ps -elf show the pcoess to be at when it can't be killed?  I
> wish Solaris had nice state info to indicate what things are blocked on
> like FreeBSD does.

I haven't tried a ps -elf.

> Does lsof show anything of interest with the process?

Won't return

> If it can't be killed, it must be a kernel issue.  Apache could trigger
> it, but no user process should ever be able to do anything to make it
> unkillable.

Right, I was asking here for two reasons.  One, I know you guys to be
highly intelligent in these types of issues; and two, I was hoping that
someone else had experienced and worked around this issue.

Our other problem is that we can't seem to get the machine to generate
a core dump (of the entire system) to send to sun.  Is there a command
under solaris to do this?  (ie. intentionally panic the system)

--
Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

<msmith> it's raining...it's pouring...the old man...
*** Describe: msmith shuts up now.