httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Couch <dco...@training.orl.lmco.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/main http_main.c
Date Thu, 21 May 1998 10:58:53 GMT
> How do Win32 mod_perl users that have perl code that makes the server grow
> large have it restart?  There are numerous ways (eg. MaxRequestsPerChild,
> having a child exit some other way, etc.) on Unix.
>
> This isn't completely related to this commit, just made me think of it.
>
> If there is a need for a way...

Unless you know something that I do not, we don't.  There is no way to get
Apache to restart.  Currently I have the server running from the command
line, in a batch file,

Apache -X
apache.cmd

If I need to restart the server I hit ctrl-C and restart the batch file,
this also has the advantage that if the server dies it automatically
restarts.  I suppose that I could start another command session and use the
'apache -stop' (whatever the new parameter is) so the batch file would
automatically restart.  It would be nice if there was a parent Apache
process still, then we could tell it to kill the 1 child and restart it.

I must say the process model is very nice because you all have the advantage
that the actual program restarts after X number of requests if it is
misbehaving.  We have to stop the entire server and restart it.  On a large
volume site there are people who get 'server not available' messages while
you are doing that.  Plus if the server decides to commit suicide there is
nothing to take its place.

Don't get me wrong, I am doing everything I can to get off of IIS and onto
Apache, but some of these things are keeping me from making the total
switch.

Thanks for the great product.

Dale