httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: apache-nspr-01.tar.gz
Date Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:10:14 GMT
On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > - buffered i/o:
> >     They don't have any buffered I/O... I'm trying to figure out the
> >     cleanest way to put BUFFs on top of the layers.  I'll probably make
> >     the buffering a layer itself... but there's no flush function to
> >     run down the layers.
[...]
> Take the NSPR layers, and put our BUFF code on top of them. i.e., make all
> layers (optionally) buffered, and define mechanisms to flush and do other
> such things to them.

You've said almost exactly what I said, except my solution is probably
more general.  To use your terminology, buffering is a filter.  When you
don't need it you don't push it on the stack.  When you need it, you push
a buffering layer underneath your code.  By default the top of the stack
will always have a buffer (but maybe we want to change that eventually,
right now I'm not changing that until I get a working server).

Buffering is not required on static-only servers, and proxy caches for
example.  So it's not strictly necessary.  But it is desirable for
flexibility.

Dean