httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject protocol/2107: Additional arguments for fixing PR#1464 ("Range: 0-" bug) (fwd)
Date Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:51:32 GMT
This has been in STATUS for like 7 months.  Marc?  Alexei?  Roy?  You guys
seem to understand the issues.

Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 21 Apr 1998 21:36:34 -0000
From: Andrey Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To: apbugs@hyperreal.org
X-Send-Pr-Version:3.2
Subject: protocol/2107: Additional arguments for fixing PR#1464 ("Range: 0-" bug)

>Number:         2107
>Category:       protocol
>Synopsis:       Additional arguments for fixing PR#1464 ("Range: 0-" bug)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This PR continues PR#1464 since I don't know how to reply to original PR.

I also agree that Apache must be fixed to return 206 instead of 200, reasons are:
1) All HTTP/1.1 compatible servers excepting Apache do it.
2) All transfer tools which are able to do reget (like GetRight, ReGet and many others)
expect 206 as result for "Range: 0-", not 200.
3) RFC 2068 eslecially points that the server MUST return 206 for ANY Range: request.

In the reply to PR#1464 I see the point that remote soft can determine reget ability
using "Accept-ranges" header, but it require yet one additional and totally unneded transfer
request
just for "Accept-ranges",  while with 206 return code remote soft can determine reget ability
in ONE
initial request using "Range: 0-".
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Return 206 code as standards and common practice says
%0