httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: SERVER_VERSION with OS
Date Tue, 21 Apr 1998 01:27:09 GMT

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> That doesn't help.  This routine is supposed to be callable from all
> over the server, not just http_main.

What?  What gives you that idea?  We can and should define this as a
function that is available during init() only.  We absolutely do not want
it callable at arbitrary times.  It can certainly be called from all over,
but there's a pool to be passed; the same pool that's passed to init().

> > They live until clear_pool() is called:  clear_pool(a) recursively calls
> > destroy_pool() on all subpools of a; then calls all the cleanups for a;
> > then releases all the memory for a.  destroy_pool(a) calls clear_pool(a)
> > and then releases the pool structure itself.  i.e. clear_pool(a) doesn't
> > delete a, it just frees up all the resources and you can start using it
> > again immediately.
>
> And after clear_pool you have to redeclare the cleanup?  So the cleanup
> in this case should redeclare itself whenever it's called?

Well, it can't redeclare itself -- it has no pool or resource to declare
itself against.  You declare cleanups as a consequence of allocating a
resource.

Dean