httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: pthreads update
Date Tue, 21 Apr 1998 00:02:25 GMT
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> While doing development, I think the NSPR code will be in a separate CVS
> module on apache.org, and I think we should have the ability to patch it up
> to our liking, realizing it's in our interests to have *all* our
> modifications make their way into the NSPR reference code from Netscape.
> So long as someone there is really maintaining it of course.  How we keep
> the NSPR CVS module on apache.org in sync with the NSPR CVS module from
> mozilla.org is an interesting question.  We may have to hand-sync it every
> major NSPR milestone or something.

I would rather NSPR be in the same module as the rest of the apache
2.0 code.  I actually expect we'll need to make some changes to it
(porting changes, not features hopefully, I know that there's a trivial
linux 2.1 porting change or three that I'll do if nobody else has done
it yet), and we'll want to keep up to date with patches as they appear
from the mozilla folks.  I find it far easier to have these things in
a single tree that I can update and rebuild just by doing:

    cvs update -dP
    make

Otherwise it becomes something like:

    cd ../nspr
    cvs update -dP
    make
    make install
    cd ../apache-2.0
    cvs update -dP
    make

Whether we distribute with it or not isn't even worth worrying about
right now.  I expect we'll see Linux and FreeBSD distributions with
shared NSPR libraries installed by default down the road...

I don't mind keeping it in sync with mozilla updates -- I'll use the
usual cvs vendor branch stuff to do that.  It's not hard at all.

How's that sound?

Dean