httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: pthread update
Date Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:52:25 GMT
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Would now be a good time to create that src/ directory in apache-2.0?  A
> better way to ask that question - Dean, do you want to let a few other
> hands help you on your Frankenstein, or do you want to let it incubate a
> while longer?  :)

Yeah I want to play a while longer, but I was tempted to start building
a tree in the 2.0 repository so that it's easier for folks to track what
I'm up to... I was going to mail to ask about it, but I got caught up in
other things.  I don't expect it to take me more than a couple weeks to
get pthread to a point where its reliability is about as good as win32.
(i.e.  to the point where we need to fix the rest of the known and
unknown threading problems)

> > - the standalone_main and child_main loops should go into their own
> > files -- here the distinction isn't by OS, it's by "process model".
> > So there is the win32 threaded model, there is the unix/process model
> > (used by emx and bs2000 as well); and then I'm working on the pthread
> > model... these would need a new hierarchy, maybe call it process/ and
> > have process/win32/, process/multiprocess/, and process/pthread/.
>
> Don't forget process/inetd, used by TPF and probably other systems.  Or is
> that indistinguishable from multiprocess?

process/single or process/inetd would be fine.  Actually I thought a
better name than process/multiprocess is process/prefork.

Dean