httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: NSPR/multithreading stuff
Date Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:34:48 GMT

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Well we can decide on it, but it shouldn't be locked in stone.  I'm
> particularly enamoured of the POSIX API given that it is an existing
> standard and already implemented in many places.  There may even exist a
> WIN32 port of it, dunno.  It should serve as a model at any rate.

Oh yeah, additional support for this reasoning:  third party libraries are
more likely to support pthreads than something we develop on our own.  If
we were to lock ourselves into, say, NSPR, and Big Database Vendor has a
client library which is pthread friendly, but NSPR's handling of thread
specific data or mutexes, or anything is compatible with pthreads... then
we lose bad.  Well, our users lose, module writers lose.  And so on.

What does threaded perl run on?

Rasmus, you've mentioned before that there is a dearth of multithread
support in third-party libraries.  Any updates on that?  If there's even
one db vendor clued enough to provide multithread support then I think it
would be a good thing for us to try to accomodate that "forward thinking".

Eventually there'll be a free pthread-safe resolver too I'm sure, and that
would save us some work.  It just makes sense for us to adopt a common
standard in this area.

Dean