httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: gen_test_char and gen_uri_delims
Date Tue, 14 Apr 1998 00:00:15 GMT
We do have directory names for a reason.  src/include includes .h files
which export interfaces between parts of the server.  src/helpers are part
of the Configure portability/configuration mgmt tool.

On the other hand, main/gen_util_uri is a piece of the code required to
build util_uri.o.  It's needed by nothing else, in fact nothing else
should even know it exists.  If all the world was ASCII it wouldn't even
need to be there -- it could be done once and ignored until protocol or
algorithm changes meant it would need updating.

It's somewhat like putting all of the proxy in modules/proxy.

Suppose we had a foo.y in main, and it was only used in an abstract way by
another routine in main.  Would you suggest then that bison be placed in
helpers/ and foo.tab.h be placed in include?  I wouldn't, it breaks the
abstraction.  gen_foo aren't exported interfaces, it's the functions which
are built out of them which are abstracted and exported.

Dean