httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Serious Use of PROXY module in commercial applications
Date Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:54:51 GMT
I'm curious why you're not evaluating Squid <http://squid.nlanr.net/>.  To
be honest, that's what I recommend to folks setting up sites using inverse
proxying... unless they have specific requirements that Apache satisfies.
Like when you're building a hybrid origin/proxy server Apache is obviously
the choice.  But when it's just a true proxy cache, squid is much better
in my opinion -- it's far more lightweight and scales to a larger number
of clients.  And if you're forced to use Solaris it will kick apache's
butt because it's a single process (multithreaded in their beta code).

I'll forward your message to someone I know who is using Apache's proxy in
a setting like this.

Dean