httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: OS Name in SERVER_VERSION (fwd)
Date Tue, 14 Apr 1998 01:52:29 GMT
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > There wasn't strong disagreement about adding just "Unix" and
> > "Win32" etc., but no one really said they liked it.
>
> Have we decided to just drop this? I thought that we had at least a few
> people who thought it was a Good Idea and what we are talking about
> is a bit different from the previous discussion...

Yeah. I think the general consensus is that having the server return
"Server: Apache/1.3.1 Linux/0.9.4.to.exploit.follow.these.simple.steps.etc..."
is a bad idea. But I can't really see any problems resulting from simply
adding a "Unix" or "Win32" onto the end. Except, of course, that they do
not fall into the token/token form prescribed by HTTP. (OS/Win32, OS/Unix
maybe, to make it more clear what's going on?)