httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: guidelines
Date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 19:23:40 GMT
On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> >
> > 1. The statements that really everyone has the equal right to veto in general.
> >    Although my coders heart says something like Dean said (~ "those who do not
> >    code should be a little bit more quiet then those who do") I think it is
> >    needed because it's just fair teamwork.
>
> Not only is it good teamwork, but it's also fair. Believe it or not,
> people actually coded before Dean, et al, came on board. And I betcha
> that different people will be coding in another year... The fact that
> the "new guys" feel that the "old guys" who did MAJOR work long ago
> don't have any say is very troubling...

This whole situation reminds me, in a strangely inverted way, of a
situation that had just been resolved when I joined the Apache Group in
July of 1995:

Apache 0.6.something was the "released" version of the server, and many
people (Rob Hartill, especially) were hard at work on 0.7, adding things
like pre-forked processes and the like, to keep up with NCSA httpd 1.4,
which had recently been released. A lot of effort had been put into 0.7,
when one day Rob Thau showed up and said, on June 12, 1995: "Over the past
few weeks, I've been off on a garage project to explore some possible new
directions I thought *might* be useful for the group to pursue." He then
proceeded to announce that he had written a brand-new web server,
code-named Shambhala, that he thought might be a useful thing to consider
for Apache 0.8.

It was decided to scrap the 0.7 efforts that had been made at that time,
and proceed with a new Apache based on rst's code. This made some people,
especially those who had been working on 0.7, if not upset, at least
annoyed. In Rob Hartill's words, from June 30, 1995: "I think were going
to have to put this down to lack of communication on the list. Had I known
a month ago what I know now, I certainly wouldn't have done all that work
on 0.7.x ... It's a shame that nobody using Shambhala didn't raise
these issues weeks ago ... Why the hell didn't anyone say something ? ...
not a happy camper."

I think while the situations are different, the current slew of
discussions reminded me of those from three years ago, and I felt
like playing historian. Make of it what you will.

P.S. Another noteable quote from Rob Hartill on June 30, 1995: "If
everyone decides to abandon the current code base, then that's fine, but I
just can't see it happening." Seems to me like something to keep in mind
when thinking about 2.0.