httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirk.vangu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: process model again...
Date Wed, 08 Apr 1998 08:09:01 GMT

> So I've been continuing with trying to figure out if the current
> perform_idle_server_maintenance() code is right.  I'm now convinced that
> we no longer need MinSpareServer, but can't give a good mathematical
> reason for why.  It just doesn't seem necessary to keep many spare when
> the server will exponentially spawn if a load presents itself.

Hmm, though the time needed to spawn a new child is short (and might be
short compared to the actual handling) I would expect that this delay
is in itself the reason for having MinSpareServer's ready.

I tried putting things into a Markof queue model and into a normal
bondgraaf/H model; but, not surprizingly, the simulation gets unstable
quickly; except when you also buffer the forking requests. Judging from
the complexity of the response to a stepper function; this might be a nice
graduate thesis.

So my gut feeling is that you need the MinSpareServer unless you are
very sure that the delay of forking is small (like on OSF/1).

Dw.