httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: APACHE & Parallel Processing
Date Wed, 22 Apr 1998 03:06:14 GMT
In general, web serving scales well to SMP boxes at the application (ie.
Apache) level, although not always at the kernel level.

Right now, since Apache is multiple process, there is no need for any
effort in the code to make it work right on multiple processors.

When it becomes threaded, it is around the same thing as long as you have
kernel threads on a box that can schedule them on multiple processors.

Because the processing is divided up into a per-request basis, it isn't
normally an issue to make it run well on multiple processors.