httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: pthreads update
Date Mon, 20 Apr 1998 21:58:59 GMT
On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> ... Brian convinced me to study NSPR (go to mozilla.org).  I did.  I'm
> impressed... so I'm probably going to drop my pthread work and switch to
> NSPR.  Hopefully in a couple days I'll just check everything into the
> apache-2.0 repository and then Mark can benefit from the
> thread-specific-data stuff I've discovered and we can proceed with his
> start on NSPR.
>
> Some quick thoughts:
>
> - NSPR license, it seems reasonable, folks need to agree on it

I am concerned about the license.  I am not qualified to speak of
any problems with it because I haven't looked closely, but if we
make Apache require NSPR then we impose restrictions on some,
especially those that need to make their own changes and do not
wish to make them public.

The license itself isn't the problem so much as it effectively
changes the Apache license to be more restrictive.  Even though it
doesn't cover our code, if Apache requires NSPR...

> - NSPR doesn't build everywhere... but then neither does everything have
> pthreads

I haven't looked at NSPR, but I would think it would be easier to
make NSPR work than to make pthreads work on a platform that it
doesn't work.  <g>

NSPR doesn't have any C++ stuff hidden in it does it?