httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Tue, 07 Apr 1998 22:14:27 GMT
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> 1. We need to do something about overloaded function names.
> 2. Using a header to redefine them is attractive, but breaks things.
> 3. Therefore they need to be renamed in place.
>
> Now, if anyone disagrees with my reasoning up to this point, please
> explain where I went wrong.

I have not yet been shown what is broken by step two that is
significant enough to cause this to be unacceptable as a short-term
fix that avoids all this crap.

"I don't like it" isn't valid, I can't see how "it makes my debugging
harder" is valid (since it can be disabled if you want to do debugging;
you already have to modify things, eg. -g to debug), "it breaks things
that don't grok C include files" is probably the most valid I have
heard, but still doesn't hold much water; take a look and you will
see that this is really the least of the worries of someone trying
to write a module in another language.  We already require that they
grok C include files even without hide.h.