httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: Global Renaming: Let us start!
Date Thu, 02 Apr 1998 06:15:21 GMT
On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> In article <> you wrote:
> > I, for one, am tending to think that NOT releasing 1.3b6 at all until
> > this whole issue has been solved is a Good Idea. This means,
> > of course, that some sort of "documented" and "name-space friendly"
> > API will and must exist for 1.3.0
> Yes, let us immediately stop the discussion about Roys veto and look forward
> what we now can do to bring 1.3b6 out and not wasting time. I'm already
> started to write the "global renaming script", so my plan is this:
> 1. I finish writing the "rename" script
> 2. I insert it and a file somewhere into the CVS which holds
>    "<old-symbol> <new-symbol-with-prefix>" lines and which should be both
>    to sync us with the prefix, what's API and what's not and finally can be
>    used both as the input for the "rename" script and to initially create an
>    apifunc.html document where we fill in documentation for the then official
>    API functions.

I have said this before and will say it one last time before I give
up: 1.3 is not the place for this sort of screwing with the API
nor is it the place for some magical API that suddenly becomes
documented, etc.  We will waste more time over this, and already have,
than it is worth and will not get much out of it in the end.

2.0 is damn close to dead in my mind.  I'm starting to think that
what is necessary is two or three people, a couple of weeks, a nice
cabin in the mountains with a few computers, and no new-httpd.

Oh well.

View raw message