httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: writing in something other than C (was re: vetoing hide.h)
Date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 14:58:54 GMT
On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >Folks not writing in C (or C++) already have to massage all the header
> >files into something they can use in whatever language.  They need a
> >request_rec definition, they need a server_rec definition, they need
> >HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR.  They need a whole lot of stuff that's pretty
> >complex to generate automatically.
> >
> >Generating a few prefixes is trivial by comparison.
>
> No doubt, or at least it would be if they could find hide.h, and
> if the prefix didn't change every release.  But that still leaves them

Hang on a sec.  Who is talking about the prefix changing every release!?!
Lets not bring other issues (like trying to use hide.h to make a real API)
into this, since they are not relevant.

> with a disjunct between "what they are reading" and what they end
> up having to link to.

I really don't see the big deal; they have to do significant work to do
any module that can't handle C include files, and I think there are other
issues that are far more difficult than this.