httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com>
Subject RE: config/2113: HTTP Server Rebuild Line Needs Changing for the better (fwd)
Date Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:15:29 GMT
The string that the MS compiler provides is quite different from the one
the
unix compilers provide - but I assume they are all within the ANSI
specification.
That's a problem ONLY if you believe there is a huge suite of dumb
consumers
for this string.  For example I had to suffer over this since my testing
scripts
look at that string to be sure that an old build didn't slip into the my
current build's
tar tapes by mistake.

I suspect if somebody didn't have anything better to do they could find
some
global setting to mess with that would make them more similar.  Of
course
anybody that clever should be working on other problems!   I definitely
don't
think an "build number" is a good idea.  The current situation seems
just fine
to me given the hairball of nmake, dev studio and N unix platforms.  -
ben hyde

On Wednesday, April 22, 1998 11:02 AM, Jim Jagielski
[SMTP:jim@jaguNET.com] wrote:
> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > Mmm.  Anyone?
> >
> > The problem is we still need to keep the current form for Win32,
etc, plus
> > add a new one.  I'm not sure it is worth it.
>
> Since we require an ANSI compiler, what we're doing seems
> the "safest" to me.
>

> --

===
http://www.jaguNET.com/