httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/test/rename apapi.h apapi.h.mk rename.cf
Date Tue, 07 Apr 1998 00:24:35 GMT
>As far as I know, the use of ap_ for API functions was the "alternate"
>method, and I had vetoed that on the grounds that it clashes with
>the use of ap_ for "generic, non-API" functions (like ap_snprintf).
>Unless we say that the present ap_ functions (those in libap.a) are
>now part of the API, I think it's confusing to use the same prefix
>for both "classes" of functions. If so, then I would rescind my
>veto, but not until that's all agreed.

You can't veto a majority decision.  You can veto the change that
places it in the server (assuming you can come up with a good reason),
but given that there is no difference between our public API and our
public symbol set, I'd have a hard time swallowing that explanation.
The purpose of the prefix is to add some measure of uniqueness to
the symbol set, not to differentiate between classes of functions.

The purpose of this discussion is to come to a decision.  If we can't
come to a decision, HIDE will be removed and no other changes committed
to replace it (because the result of multiple vetos is always the
status quo prior to the changes being vetoed).

Ken, the reason I am going to tag the repository before any big
change commit is so that it will be easier to remove if somebody does
want to veto it later.  Obviously, the more vetos we get the less
progress will be made, but most of us are capable of discerning between
a valid reason and someone just being a twit.

....Roy