httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: writing in something other than C (was re: vetoing hide.h)
Date Thu, 02 Apr 1998 00:29:04 GMT
>Hang on a sec.  Who is talking about the prefix changing every release!?!
>Lets not bring other issues (like trying to use hide.h to make a real API)
>into this, since they are not relevant.

Dean was talking about it. It was the discussion about the AP_ prefix
being different than all of the other prefix proposals that triggered
my veto (it was the last straw).  If hide.h was using "ap_" instead
and there was a reasonable likelihood that we would use "ap_" for all
those functions throughout 1.3.x, then letting the current code be
released would not be such a significant event.

>> with a disjunct between "what they are reading" and what they end
>> up having to link to.
>
>I really don't see the big deal; they have to do significant work to do
>any module that can't handle C include files, and I think there are other
>issues that are far more difficult than this.

You have different customers than I do.

....Roy