httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: writing in something other than C (was re: vetoing hide.h)
Date Wed, 01 Apr 1998 09:15:28 GMT
>Folks not writing in C (or C++) already have to massage all the header
>files into something they can use in whatever language.  They need a
>request_rec definition, they need a server_rec definition, they need
>HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR.  They need a whole lot of stuff that's pretty
>complex to generate automatically.
>
>Generating a few prefixes is trivial by comparison.

No doubt, or at least it would be if they could find hide.h, and
if the prefix didn't change every release.  But that still leaves them
with a disjunct between "what they are reading" and what they end
up having to link to.

>Has someone done that?  Has anyone used apache with anything other than C?

We looked into it as part of the libwww-ada95 preparation, and I've seen
others ask about it.  I don't know of any that successfully produced
a module without an intermediate C layer (like mod_perl).

....Roy