httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: SERVER_VERSION with OS
Date Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:00:40 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > And SERVER_VERSION should be, too.  The server identity items should be
> > rebuilt every time the server is relinked, IMO.  I'd like to see
>
> Do you just feel like this being a good thing or do you have a reason?

Yes, I have a reason.  It may be specious, but I have a reason.

Particularly with our fiddling with the version string, all use
of the SERVER_VERSION string should be discouraged, and certainly
by modules.  Why?  So modules compiled at different times or with
different flags don't misrepresent the entire server.

I think a good way of doing this is to have the define local to
the routine that's the supported means of accessing the version
string.  And putting that routine in the same file as other
server identity functions seems to make sense to me.

> I'm afraid I can't see any reason why they should nor why I would want
> them to.  The server version doesn't magically change whenever you
> recompile, so why take effort to recompile it all the time?

It *shouldn't* change, but you never know.  To my mind, the
value of the server version, like the build time, should be
fixed at link time to avoid any possibility of confusion.

#ken	P-)}