httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [BUILD] NT is back, summary of issues.
Date Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:42:20 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Ben Hyde wrote:
> > > C        intelnt -- uri_delims.c
> > > D        intelnt -- debug noise in makefile?
> >
> > Hereby squashed.
> >
> > > E        intelnt -- numerous warnings.
> > >              signed/unsigned mismatch
> > >              integral size mismatch in argument; conversion supplied
> > >              conversion from 'double ' to 'float ', possible loss of data
> > >              conversion from 'float ' to 'unsigned long ', possible loss of
data

> > One day I'll get these, but after my last attempt (with the proxy
> > module) I intend to approach them with great caution... of course with
> > the addition of "safe" casts, some of them are less horrible than they
> > might have been...
>
> I still think the debug level is simply turned up one notch too high.
> While it appears like knocking it down one would get rid of some useful
> warnings, it just spits out far too much cruft at the current levels...

Turning down 1 level gets rid of too much. There was a (recently
corrected) mistake with mod_proxy that did /W4 instead of /W3, which
really does emit far too much.

If there are truly useless warnings, they can be selectively disabled,
y'know, but the current crop look useful to me: possible loss of data is
a symptom of a cockup, generally. So is signed/unsigned mismatch.
Unfortunately, some of them are such deeply rooted cockups they are
quite hard to get rid of.

Cheers,

Ben.