httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Thoughts on maintaining Vary
Date Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:25:37 GMT
There's an open PR (1644) about the fact that URL rewriting
based upon the request header fields doesn't get
reflected in the setting of the response field Vary.
(The PR is specifically about mod_rewrite, but the issue
is wider than that.)

I think the two main places this sort of thing happens are in
mod_rewrite and the various envariable conditionals.  I've
been giving this the odd cerebral cycle, and one weak idea
I've had about the latter was to potentially attach an array
to each envariable.  If it gets modified based upon request
fields, the array would be attached and the field name involved
would be added to the array.  Elsewhere, in the code
that makes decisions based upon envariable settings, if an
envariable was used to determine something then the contents
of the associated array would be merged into the Vary field in
r->headers_out.

Just my thoughts on the subject so far..  I don't like them too
much, because it seems to be a special case of a more general
solution, but I wanted to bounce the idea off others.  This
specific implementation might be horrible performance-wise,
but as a basic concept..

#ken	P-)}