httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Rough (*very*!) start on API documentation
Date Wed, 08 Apr 1998 01:07:09 GMT
I have been blathering about working on an API document
for months, and toying with a data-driven sort of approach.
(Well, several.)  I wasn't happy with the results, so I'm
going the brute-force path to get *some*thing out there.

I've taken the list that Ralf derived for hide.h, weeded out
some of the obvious non-API symbols, differentiated between
functions and data cells where my eyeball happened to spot 'em,
and put the result into

 <http://dev.apache.org/API-dict.html>

Things I want to do but don't have time for right now (namely
to-night):

 o Correlate against Alexei's identification as API_EXPORT,
   API_VAR_EXPORT, et cetera, to weed out the httpd-internal
   core items
 o Flesh out (and complete) the data structure list
 o Include the prototype for each routine and describe
   what, when, and how it's used
 o Add a table of contents
 o Put the items in lexically ascending order

But at least it's a start.. maybe?  I put it on the development
site until it actually has some content - enough to go into
the apache-1.3 repository.

This has *nothing* to do with the Great Naming Wars, other
than having been given some impetus by same.  We know of
what the API consists (sort of), and that's not going to change
regardless of the names.  E.g., there will be a table_get() even if
it's called something else.

Help greatly welcome!  People with direct CVS access can, of course,
update the file directly.  Those that don't can either submit
patches to the list, or send 'em to me for inclusion.  That
explicitly includes the lurkers who came up with good comments in
response to Dean's survey, as well as any others.  (This is
documentation, so no votes are necessary.)  Patch input is preferred
over prose, but I'll take prose and rework it..  Since Dean got several
do likewise: I won't mention any names if asked not to.  (Though
I don't think the issue is quite the same.. ;-)

Anyone think this is/isn't worth doing?  I'm open to suggestions..

#ken	P-)}