httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Tue, 07 Apr 1998 19:45:58 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Ken, you're being stupid.

Why, thank you.  Personal insults are *so* improving to the
discussion. :-(

>                            It's only a goddamn name, and we can define it
> to mean whatever we want.  You'll notice the "all the same prefix" votes
> have defined it to mean "this is a prefix which protects our namespace".
> We've never once defined it to mean "hey all of this is part of the API".

I guess I'd better make that statement now.

Roy did not provide sufficient justification to my mind for
his veto of HIDE.  I argued a bit, and then shut up.  Now it's
clear I wasn't alone - Paul, Marc, you (though you may have changed
your mind), and Jim also seem to think the justification
inadequate.

I cast the veto because I have the distinct impression that the group
is being railroaded.  With something this much in flux, "cast/change
your vote within 24 hours so the vetoer is sure, then we go with X
and nothing more" - that seems like a major rush - and a very final
statement - to me.  Sure, the repository is going to be tagged
(well, planned to be) first so it can be rolled back, but rollbacks
are a major pain.  I'd rather not even roll forward until there's
general agreement - which it sure doesn't appear exists to-day.

If Roy will back off on his time limit, I will readily rescind
my veto.  Fair enough?

#ken	P-)}