httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/test/rename apapi.h apapi.h.mk rename.cf
Date Tue, 07 Apr 1998 02:01:51 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> The purpose of the prefix is to add some measure of uniqueness to
> the symbol set, not to differentiate between classes of functions.

Ah, but there's the rub.  The hide.h stuff was originally designed
to accomplish the former purpose, and got warped by possibly overeager
people (myself included) into doing more than that.

If we're going to do a major renaming of the functions and what-not
(i.e., doing it long-term "right"), then I definitely want to revisit
the class-differentiation model more - because now's the time, and
I (and apparently Jim) think it's goodness to have it.

> Ken, the reason I am going to tag the repository before any big
> change commit is so that it will be easier to remove if somebody does
> want to veto it later.  Obviously, the more vetos we get the less
> progress will be made, but most of us are capable of discerning between
> a valid reason and someone just being a twit.

I've got no problem whatsoever with the tagging, Roy, I just wanted
the 'make the big change' step to be somewhat more than 48 hours
from its proposal.  (I'm not sure how close to accurate that is,
but I think this all started ramping up on Saturday.)  Some of us
occasionally don't check in daily (Dean's away this week-end,
for instance, I think, and Brian and various others of us have
been incommunicado for days at a time in the past).

I'll go along with the group decision, of course, but I want
to understand what's involved and have an opportunity (as my
time permits) to participate.  That's the only reason I asked
for a 24-hour postponement.

#ken	P-)}