httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: ASP with apache ? (fwd)
Date Mon, 06 Apr 1998 22:24:48 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > Ben you had some code for this, no?
>
> So he says (although it hasn't been made public, hint hint.  <g>) but it
> ain't gonna do what people want on Unix...

Yeah, I have, but it needs a load of legwork to support all the
"objects" (so-called) that standard ASP supports. That is, I've done the
stuff that makes scripting work, and implemented some objects to show
how its done. If I make it public, will people actually work on it? Coz
I'm going to be more than a little irritated if I jump through all the
hoops and it just sits there.

Like Marc says, though, it isn't going to do what people want on Unix
(though it does seem to me at times that you have to do so much work in
the back end that it isn't very far [apart from the lack of VBScript
itself] from being Unixable: after all, most of OLE is really just a
link between a great big number and a library. A classic example is OLE
"collections", which aren't at all - really they're just a rather badly
documented set of OLE functions that everyone is supposed to use when
they see something that looks like a collection. Try figuring that out
from M$'s "documentation", though).

Cheers,

Ben.